By Ski Waheenie
You might think that carrying an ice axe/ski pole hybrid would be a little over-the-top, but in my experience, using a Whippet on Spring ski tours is nothing less than awesome! Here is why:
1. Steep Ascents. In the Spring, conditions are finally safe enough to ski 40 degree+ lines. While hiking up these couloirs, I use the whippet for stability and pull on it to get up icy slopes. It's amazing how much it helps- they are truly a climbing tool!
2. Mellow climbs Especially in the Pacific Northwest, I've found myself skinning up mellow slopes, where an ice axe is completely unnessicary. But with potential to slide down 4000' of slick ice, carrying a whippet is the perfect safety compromise. I have tested it as a self-arrest tool with great success.
3. Black Diamond Quality. I like this pole for all of the same reasons that I like the BD Traverse and Carbon poles. The flick-lock system is the best on the market. Super easy to use!
1. Sold individually. Although this completely makes sense and most people would only want 1 whippet, I would love to have a pair. Mostly it's important to just understand what you are getting for the price!
2. Kinda scary while skiing... I'm the type of person that always thinks about worst case scenarios, and let's just say that gushing blood is the first mental image that comes to mind when I think about skiing with a whippet. However, I have skied with the whippet (and even fallen) enough now that I feel pretty dang comfortable. I do strongly prefer to hold it in my right hand, but for no particular reason!
WHAT YOU NEED TO KNOW
I know this sounds like an advertisement, but trust me, You want to buy a whippet. You will be happy to have it! I have no affiliation with Black Diamond- I simply love the product!
Best in Test
AVG USER ADVICE